Testing continues to operate as an essential service during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We have introduced several new safety procedures in our test centres. Here are a few of the things we are doing to help maintain a safe testing environment for everyone.
At the test centre, please:
- Wear a mask. Bring your favourite one, or we are happy to provide one! (Masks should be removed for the registration photo only).
- Be prepared to sanitize your hands and have your temperature taken on arrival.
What we are doing:
- We have reduced capacity of each exam.
- All test equipment is sanitized between each use.
- Finger scans will not be taken at registration.
If you are unwell or have close contact with anyone with cold Covid-19 symptoms:
- Before your test – do not attend your test. Find more help here. You must send an email before 6pm on the day of you test to: email@example.com. A complimentary transfer of your test date will be offered. Please tell us your name, test date, location and receipt number. We cannot approve transfer requests for absent test takers who do not notify us before 6pm on the day of the test.
- During your test – If you feel unwell during your test, please inform your invigilator immediately. Any test taker who displays symptoms, such as fever or excessive coughing, will be advised to leave the test centre and contact 811 for further guidance.
- After your test – call 811 to report.
Other things to note:
- Anyone who does not wear a mask fully covering their mouth and nose will be asked to leave the test centre. A refund will not be provided.
- Washroom facilities are open and available for use on test day. Water dispensers are not – please bring your own water in a transparent bottle.
8:00am-Arrival and Registration
You need your valid passport or Permanent Residence Card to take your IELTS test.
Registration ends at 8:45am. You cannot take your test if you arrive after 8:45am. During registration we will:
- Check your ID and take photo. The photo will go on your Test Report Form. *Finger scans will not be taken.
- Provide you with a white plastic bag for your belongings. Place everything inside the bag, except two items to write with, an eraser and water in a transparent bottle with the label removed. Your cell phone and all electronics must be switched off.
- Assign you a test room.
Please do not wear scents– many people are allergic. You may be denied entry to the test if your scent disturbs other people.
Please follow social distancing rules – to ensure the safety of test-takers and staff, you will be asked to leave if you ignore the rules in place and/or warnings from your invigilator.
9:00am to noon-Test
|Parts of the Day||Time||Duration|
|Registration||8:00 to 8:45||Candidates will not be admitted after 8:45am|
We do not use headphones.
|Speaking||Speaking can be on Thursday Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We will send details of your speaking test time 3 days before the test if your speaking test is on a different day from your written tests.||11-14 minute (arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled time)|
What can I bring into the test?
- Your ID
- Water in a transparent bottle with the label removed.
- 2 items to write with, an eraser and a pencil sharpener (we can also provide these items to you*)
*items provided are sanitized between uses.
What happens in the test?
The order of the test is Listening, Reading and Writing. The test is paper based. The total time is about 3 hours. The staff member in your room can help you if you have a question about the procedure. Please put up your hand if you need help. There are no washroom breaks in the test.
Important: The label on your desk on test day contains important information to help you access your results. At the end of the test, take it with you and keep it safe.
What happens in the Speaking Test?
Most test takers have their speaking test in the afternoon of the written test day (between 12:25pm and 5:30 pm) but if we need you to take your test either the day before or the day after, you will receive information about the date and time of your speaking test 3 days before your scheduled test date. Bring your ID document to your speaking test. Your speaking test lasts approximately 15 minutes and is with a qualified examiner.
Safety measures will always ensure a 2 metre distance between the test-taker and examiner. Test-takers may wear masks for their Speaking interview
How do I change information about myself such as my address?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you need to change your information.
How do I get my results?
Results are released within 5-7 days after your test date. There are 2 ways to get your results:
- By Mail:We will automatically mail all test results to the address you provided during registration. Please allow 4 weeks from the date you results are released.
- Online: While waiting for your results in the mail, you can check unofficial results here. Copy your name ‘exactly’ as it was written on your desk label.
*During Covid-19, results will not be available for pick-up.